Symptomatic SARS-CoV2 infections in patients treated in France by hemodialysis in an establishment, or at home or by peritoneal dialysis: Data from the REIN and RDPLF registries
In France all patients treated with dialysis are registered in the REIN registry (Epidemiology and Information Network in Nephrology) ; in addition the RDPLF (French Language Peritoneal Dialysis Registry) monitors patients treated at home in French-speaking regions and countries.
Asymptomatic patients with a positive SARS-CoV2 test were excluded : the study focused only on patients with symptomatic COVID-19 disease. Data from REIN and RDPLF were used. In total, 3,541 patients were declared symptomatic with COVID-19. The proportion of patients with symptomatic SAR-coV2 infection was 4.9% in patients treated at home by peritoneal dialysis or hemodialysis and 8.0% in those treated in a dialysis unit. After adjustment for age and comorbidities, being treated at home was associated with a higher risk of mortality. In conclusion, home treatments could represent a solution for preventing the risk of contamination during the circulation of the virus. On the other hand, the risk of mortality in symptomatic patients at home could be linked to a delay in treatment: rigorous remote organization must be implemented so as not to delay the treatment of patients in the event of infection.
- Nouvier M, Verger C, Fouque D. Situation of the Covid-19 epidemic in patients on peritoneal dialysis on 2020/05/15 in France : RDPLF data-base. Bull Dial Domic [Inter-net]. 2020Jun.15 [cited 2020Dec.2];3(2):73-1. Available from: https://doi.org/10.25796/bdd.v3i2.55433
- Michel P-A, Piccoli GB, Couchoud C, Fessi H. Home hemodialysis during the COVID-19 epidemic: comment on the French experience from the viewpoint of a French home hemodialysis care network. Journal of Nephrology. déc 2020;33(
- Couchoud C., Stengel B., Landais P, Aldigier J-C., de Cornelissen F., Dabot C., Maheut H., Joyeux V., Kessler M., Labeeuw M et al.
The renal epidemiology and information network (REIN): a new registry for end-stage renal disease in France.
Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, Volume 21, Issue 2, February 2006, Pages 411–418, https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfi198
- Verger C , Ryckelynck J.-P., Duman M, Veniez G, Lobbedez T., Boulanger E., Mo-ranne O. , Fabre E.. French peritoneal dialysis registry (RDPLF): outline and main re-sults
Kidney Int Suppl 2006 Nov;(103):S12-20. doi: 10.1038/sj.ki.5001911.
- Acute peritoneal dialysis during the COVID-19 pandemic at Bellevue Hospital in New York City.
Caplin. Nina J et al, Kidney 360 Publish Ahead of Print, published on October 16, 2020 as doi:10.34067/KID.0005192020
J. Emilio Sánchez-Álvarez, Miguel Pérez Fontán, Carlos Jiménez Martín, Miquel Blasco Pelícano, Carlos Jesús Cabezas Reina,Ángel M. Sevillano Prieto,f Edoardo Melilli,Marta Crespo Barrios,Manuel Macía Heras,and María Dolores del Pino y Pino. Status of SARS-CoV-2 infection in patients on renal replacement therapy. Report of the COVID-19 Registry of the Spanish Society of Nephrology (SEN)
Nefrología (English Edition). 2020 May-June; 40(3): 272–278.
Published online 2020 Apr 27. doi: 10.1016/j.nefroe.2020.04.002
- Collart F, des Grottes J-M, Baudoux T, Cuvelier C, Debelle F, Goffin E, Masset C, Mat O, Cornet G. Covid-19 epidemic in the dialysis units of the french speaking part of Belgium : special insight into patients on home dialysis. Bull Dial Domic [Internet]. 2020Aug.21 Bull Dial Domic [Internet]. 21août2020 [cité 8déc.2020];3(3):139-45. Available from https://doi.org/10.25796/bdd.v3i3.57893
-Preethi Yerram and Madhukar Misra
Home Dialysis in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Era
Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2020 Jul 7
doi: 10.1053/j.ackd.2020.07.001 [Epub ahead of print]
- Susie Q. Lew, Eric L. Wallace, Vesh Srivatana, Bradley A. Warady, Suzanne Wat-nick, Jayson Hood, David L. White, Vikram Aggarwal, Caroline Wilkie, Mihran V. Naljayan, Mary Gellens, Jeffrey Perl, Martin J. Schreiber.
Telehealth for Home Dialysis in COVID-19 and Beyond: A Perspective From the Amer-ican Society of Nephrology COVID-19 Home Dialysis Subcommittee
Published:September 27, 2020DOI:https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2020.09.005
Copyright (c) 2020 Cécile Couchoud; Christian Verger
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.